…culinary chronicles of taking that final moment to “taste for seasoning.”

Sunday, February 8

...and my first Cakewrecks tribute cake!

My friend rocked the GRE yesterday, so my husband and I got invited over for some celebratory drinks. I also used the occasion to make... my first Cakewrecks tribute cake! I should clarify that I did not actually make the cake, or even the frosting. I'd like to think that I would have if time had allowed (despite my apathy toward baking), but given the time constraint, this was definitely a supermarket job. Since we were taking it over to someone's house as a stand-alone dessert, I wanted it to actually taste good, so I chose New Seasons over Safeway, despite the latter's undoubtedly deep tradition of creating Cakewrecks-worthy creations.

Unfortunately, New Seasons was fresh out of stereotypical supermarket cakes. Everything behind the glass case was prohibitively expensive (sorry Becca, but those cakes are designed to be sold by the slice - paying $42.95 for a whole cake and then doing what I did to it would be like someone in the Pearl District letting her puppy do its business while wearing a Nordstrom decorative one-piece knitted jumpsuit). That left me with the pre-packaged baked goods, which were attractively priced but all a little too - flourished. I didn't particularly want a key lime or lemon cake, but nothing else had a flat writing surface big enough for my dark purpose. Finally, I settled on a chocolate truffle cake that was big enough to write on, if only my frosting-writing-thingum could bridge the crackly parts.

And... tra-la-laaaaaa...

This particular inscription job pays tribute to Cakewrecks in at least four ways:

1. The word "Congratulations" is inexplicably mangled

2. "And Under Neat That" - blatant reference to Cakewrecks' "Cake That Started It All"

3. Inappropriate use of quotation marks around the word "test"

4. Color instructions carelessly transcribed onto cake

One could also draw attention to the haphazard pink blobs, and the cake's sunken topography. If you don't get it, go to cakewrecks.blogspot.com and click on some of the old reader favorites on the right-hand side.

No comments:

Post a Comment