…culinary chronicles of taking that final moment to “taste for seasoning.”

Wednesday, October 20

Saffron and Roasted Cauliflower Soup

I adapted a recipe for Saffron Cauliflower Soup that was in The Oregonian yesterday - not many changes except that I used chicken broth instead of vegetable broth, green onions instead of chives, and no tahini. I'm sure it would have been completely delicious and over the top with tahini, but they didn't have it where I picked up the cauliflower and saffron. I roasted the cauliflower before adding it to the broth in the hope of boosting the flavor even without the tahini.

Here's the recipe as it appeared in The Oregonian. I've noted any substitutions I made.

Also, I used my pressure cooker to steep the saffron in the broth, and again to cook the cauliflower and potato in the broth. I still cooked the cauliflower and potato for about 20 minutes, plus cooling time, but I speculate that this is what allowed me to get away with using small yellow potatoes instead of a starchier Russet(t?) and still have a nice potato-thickened broth.

Ingredients:
  • 4 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth, or a combination of broth and water)
  • 1/8 teaspoon saffron powder or threads
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 medium white onion, coarsely chopped
  • 1 head cauliflower, broken into florets (I kind of just chopped it up, since I wanted to roast the pieces quickly. Tossed in olive oil, salt, and pepper; roasted at 450 for about 25-30 minutes, until soft and a little browned)
  • 1 large russet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes (I used five small yellow potatoes because I already had them on hand)
  • 2 tablespoons tahini (didn't have, didn't use)
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • Chopped fresh chives for garnish (used green onions. Chives would have been yummy)

In a medium pot, bring the broth to a boil and add the saffron. Turn off the heat and let the broth sit for 10 minutes, allowing the saffron to steep.

Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat and sauté the onion until translucent, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the cauliflower and potato and stir. Add the broth to the cauliflower mixture and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for about 25 minutes on low heat, until the cauliflower is fork-tender.

Transfer the soup to a blender (I just used my stick blender) and add the tahini. Working in batches, blend the soup until smooth and velvety. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer the soup back to the pot and reheat on low.

Serve immediately in soup bowls, garnished with the chopped chives.

I can't figure out how to incorporate my photos into the text after the fact with the new Blogger, so here are my pictures:

Cauliflower prior to roasting.


The cooked cauliflower and potato in the saffron broth.


The soup! Sooooo thick and creamy, even without the tahini. I can't wait for lunch tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment