…culinary chronicles of taking that final moment to “taste for seasoning.”

Monday, January 10

Garlic Soup

This soup is SO good, made out of practically nothing, and also seems like it would be an excellent hangover dish.

Normally I'm not big on the whole celebrity chef phenomenon, but I found this in Spain: A Culinary Road Trip by Mario Batali ("with" Gwyneth Paltrow. Not sure what she was doing there since evidently she couldn't even keep him from wearing orange Crocs... but I digress).

The recipe says it serves six, but he has to mean as a first course. And I'm not sure why you would ever want to have this soup as a first course, since you will just want more of the soup.

Ingredients:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 pound stale bread, crusts removed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 3 cups) [I was too lazy to remove the crusts and it was delicious]
- 8 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon hot pimenton (Spanish smoked paprika) [I have a feeling this is an important ingredient to get right. Regular paprika has very little punch. The Spanish smoked paprika I get at Penzey's (not sure where else you can get it, but I know it's around) is smoky and flavorful.]
- Kosher salt
- 8 cups chicken stock, vegetable stock, or water [I did like 1/3 chicken broth and the rest water]
- 6 poached eggs [pshhht. Or *three*, since it really only serves three].

Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the bread and cook, stirring, until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, pimenton, and a good pinch of salt. Cook for about 3 minutes, or until very fragrant. Add the stock and bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until the bread is very soft. Taste and add salt if necessary. Ladle the soup into six [three] bowls, put a poached egg into each, and serve.

Oh yeah, did I mention I poached my first (and second, for lunch tomorrow) eggs tonight? Kind of gross, kind of fun. Probably won't do it again for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment